Friday, December 9, 2016

First Line Friday!


This week's First Line Friday comes from one I just finished recently and I decided to take a line from a little more controversial chapter toward the end.

The book is Ruthless: Scientology, My Son David Miscavige, and Me and the first line from Chapter 24 'Now What?' is:

"The degree to which David has deviated from L. Ron Hubbard's management directives since he took power in the 1980s has had several consequences that I don't think he ever predicted."

These words are indeed controversial coming from someone formerly so devoted to the group. The younger Miscavige spends obscene amounts of money going after anyone who speaks poorly of the 'church', so the sentence also indicates the author's belief in Scientology as a whole, perhaps without his son as the leader. While I did not learn anything earth-shattering in the book, it is interesting that now two family members have come out saying how things really work. What is your take on Scientology?

Now stop on by to see the First Lines of fellow readers!




Rachel - Bookworm Mama



Happy Reading!
Sarah

2 comments:

  1. I'm gonna have to quote Schultz fron Hogan's Heroes "I know nothing" I really don't, about Scientology lol! My first line today, "Jane Fairmont Bell sat alone in the keeper's lodge she had once shared with her husband." - The Innkeeper of Ivy Hill by Julie Klassen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, no worries lol. It is kind of crazy but I can't stop reading about it exactly BECAUSE it sounds so insane.

      I'll be by shortly...when the munchkin starts cooperating :)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!